Monday 10 March 2014

Dallas Buyers Club

Hi and welcome to Wez Movie blog.

I’ve recently got myself an unlimited card at a cinema and my life isn’t really going anywhere so figured I would watch a lot of films.

I’ve been to see quite a few films recently (trying to get the most out of my Unlimited card).

I went to see The Dallas Buyers Club yesterday.  If I’m honest with you I didn’t expect much. I know Oscars were won by Matthew McConaughey and Jared Leno but ive seen some rubbish films win Oscars. I expected a Erin Brockovich type film with a struggle to “Change the Rule” type plot and in a way i guess that’s what I got but i have to say I loved this film.  I Really enjoyed the change in Matthew McConaughey’s character Ron. You start off believing this man to be a “White Trash” American who probably couldn’t count above 30 with a gun by his head. By the end of the film you see how smart the guy is and you follow his journey all the way through. The acting is brilliant not only by the 2 main actors but also Jennifer Garner putting in a performance i haven’t seen from her before and even the lesser known actors were very good from the homophobic friends of Ron at the start of the film right down to the FDA guys towards the end i didn’t think anybody let this film down.

Don’t get me wrong it has its odd moments. I saw something’s I didn’t want to see a human body do and I found myself thinking “is there really thousands of people in such a small area with AIDS?” I don’t know there is not and I believe this is based on real events but still there was a lot of Ill people and a lot of them didn’t look ill.

The Storyline is simple really. Its about a homophobic Electrician who gets AIDS through excessive drug use and unprotected sex with women. He doesn’t believe he has AIDS then works out its not just a “GAY” thing and starts to accept that he had AIDS. At this point he realises that he doesn’t have to accept death and does what he can to escape this. He attempts to go onto a drug trial for a new drug that may cure AIDS but finds through the help of a American Doctor based in Mexico that the Drug he is using is giving him more illnesses and is killing him. The Doctor teaches him a different way of living with AIDS but they are not FDA approved so cannot get them in the USA.  They make him better so he takes the drugs the USA and sells them without the FDA approval whilst doing what he can to make these items (not all drugs) approved in the USA and making his own life longer.

This is not a light hearted film. Take it seriously and you will enjoy it i think.


I give it an 8.7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment